Dhanteras also known as “Dhanatrayodashi” or “Dhanvantari Trayodashi” is the first day of five day of Diwali celebration. Dhanteras is derived from two words first is “Dhan” means wealth and “Teras” means 13th day as per Hindu calendar.
शास्त्रों के अनुसार कार्तिक कृष्ण त्रयोदशी तिथि को भगवान धनवंतरी का जन्म हुआ था। इसलिए इसे धनतेरस के त्योहार के रुप में मनाया जाता है।
According to Hindu Panchang or Hindu calendar Dhanteras is celebrated on the thirteenth lunar day of Krishna paksha (dark fortnight) in the month of Ashwin.
Dhanteras Date 2016 : 28/10/2016 (28 October 2016)
धनतेरस 2016 की तारीख: 28/10/2016 (28 अक्टूबर 2016)
The period of 2 hour 24 minutes after sun sat is known as Pradosh Kal. It’s considered good and fortunate to do Laxmi Pujan as well Deep Daan.
धनतेरस पूजा मुहूर्त 2016 = 05:35 06:20 बजे तक
Pradosh Kaal = 17:35 to 20:11
Vrishabha Kaal = 18:35 to 20:30
Trayodashi Tithi Ends = 18:20 on 28/Oct/2016
How to perform Dhnteras Puja
After seeing the star in the evening, this time is also known as Pradosh kaal. Women of the house get together for the dhanteras puja. In many homes, men and women together perform the puja on this auspicious day.
Dhanteras Puja/Poojan Samagri ( धनतेरस पूजा / पूजन )
21 whole kamal gattas (lotus seeds)
5 types of gem stones
5 whole betel nuts (supari)
A number of Silver Laxmi-Ganesh coins (10 gms or more) and a deity form of Laxmi-Ganesh (or substitute a Laxmi-Ganesh coin for the deities).
Aasan to be seated on
Basil leafs (Tulsi patra)
Custard Apple (Seetafal)
Dhoop & Dhoopdaan
Empowered 11 Dhanteras Candles or 11 other available pink and purple candles.
Flowers, Rice, Roli
Ganga jal (holy water)
Kheel & Batasha
Leafs of Banyan(badh), sycamore (Goolar), Ficus religiosa (peepal), mango (Aam) and Paakar
One Deepak/Diya made of flour dough with 4 wicks
Photo or statue of Goddess Laxmi
Red cotton cloth
Sacred Water and a Spoon
Saptdhanya (grain of seven types)
Silver brick of 25 gms or 50 or 100 gms, with perfectly straight edges and 90 degree corners (no substitutes for this are possible)
Small bowl or lota
Small pan or kadhai (wok)–This has to be a new previously unused utensil
Statue of Goddess Saraswati
Statue of Lord ganesha
Sugar Cane (Ganna)
Wicks, Oil/Ghee and Matchbox
Dhanteras Puja Vidhi/ Dhantrayodashi Puja Vidhi
• Lit Deepak in Desi Ghee and Dhoop/Agarbatti.
• Do Ganesh puja first and then perform Navgrah Puja
Do Lakshmi ji Avahan and recite mantra:
“Aadi Shakti Mateshwari, jai Kamaley Jagdamb I
Yahan Padharo Murti mai, Kripa karo avilamb II “
Offer “Akshat”/Rice/ Chawal /Uncooked Chawal/Uncooked Rice to Maa Lakshmi Ji.
• Sprinkle holi water/ganga Jal in a Pooja Thali thrice.
• Dip idol of Maa lakshmi ji stepwise into Ganga Jal,Milk, Curd, Desi Ghee, Honey, Sugar and after that mix all the items and again dip idol of Maa lakshmi ji into the mixture called Panchamrit and finally again dip Maa Lakshmi Ji in Ganga Jal.
• Wipe the idol with a clean cloth.
• Offer “Vastram”/cloths to Maa Lakshmi Ji.
• Smear forehead of Maa Lakshmi ji with tilak of “Roli”
• Offer flowers specially Lotus to Maa Lakshmi Ji.
• Offer other Shringar Items like Sindoor, Bangles etc. to Maa Lakshmi Ji.
• Perform Pooja Archana of Maa Lakshmi Ji with “Dhoop”/Agarbatti/ incense sticks and “Deep”.
• Read Lakshmi Ji Katha.
• Offer Prasadam or Bhog to Maa Lakshmi Ji.
• Offer “Tambool” which is a combination of Paan, Elaichi etc to Maa Lakshmi ji/Goddess Laxmi.
• Do Pooja of your Accounts books, Cash Box, Pen, Ink and other items step wise.
• Offer Dakhsina as per your status.
• With Full devotion do the Arti of Maa Lakshmi Ji with Diyas and kapoor/camphor.
• Once again offer Flowers to Maa Lakshmi Ji.
• Make a Prayer or a wish to Maa Lakshmi ji.
• Do the “Shama Prarthana” asking Maa Lakshmi ji to forgive you if anything wrong have been committed by you during the Pooja and to accept your offerings and wish.
• Firstly lit five desi ghee diyas and keep one in Kitchen, one in bedroom, one in Drawing room, one in Washroom and last one in any other room.
• Lit all other diyas in Mustard oil and decorate them on the outside boundaries of your house, Parapet and other sorroundings.
• After the puja ceremony completes, the family members touch the feet of elderly and take blessings from them.
• Distrubute the Prasaad/ sacrament into whole family and with your friends and relatives.
After performing the Dhanteras Puja Ganpati Aarti and Laxmi Ji Aarti is sung by the whole family members.
Preparation for Dhanteras
Hindus start the preparation for Dhanteras festival or Diwali festival before 10-15 days. Every day has its own importance. Especially on the Dhateras festival, Houses and business premises are renovated and decorated. Markets are also decorated with the lights and flowers. Entrances of every houses or buildings are decorated with the colorful lights. Traditional motifs of Rangoli are also designed in front of the main door or entrance door of houses. It is said that Goddess Laxmi likes Rangoli, so Rangoli is made at entrance to welcome the Goddess Laxmi/Lakshmi. Small footprints are also printed at the entrance with the Rongoli by rice flour and vermilion. Lamps and Diyas are also kept burning with Oil/Ghee in the waiting of Goddess Lakshmi.
On the occasion of Dhanteras Hindus generally prefer to buy gold, silver, jewellery as well as minimum one new utensil. It is believed that to buy gold, silver or new utensils is a sign of good luck. The day of Dhanteras is also dedicated to the God Dhanvantari. So Dhanvantari puja is also performed with the Lakshmi pooja. Dhanteras is celebrated to get the blessings and good wishes from Goddess Laxmi. Hindus also purchase the idol of Lord Ganesha and Goddess Laxmi.
You can chant following mantras during or after completing the Dhanteras Puja/Lakshmi/Laxmi Pooja, which will bring peace, joy and happiness for your life.
|| ॐ श्री गणेशाय नमः ॐ ||
“Om shree ganneshaay namah Om”
Goddess Laxmi Mantra
ॐ श्री महालछ्मयै च विदमहे विष्णु पत्न्यै च धीमहि
तन्नो लछ्मी प्रचोदयात् ॐ ||
“Om Shree Mahaalachhmyai Ch Vidamahe Visshnnu Pat`n`yai Ch Dheemahi tan`no Lachhmee Prachodayaat` Om”
|| ॐ ह्रीं अष्टलछ्म्यै दारिद्र्य विनाशिनी सर्व सुख समृध्दिं देहि देहि ह्रीं ॐ नमः ||
“Om HreeN Asshttalachh`myai Daarid`r`y Vinaashinii Sarv Sukh SamrrdhdiN Dehi Dehi HreeN Om Namah”